- Family Law
- Personal Injury
- Workers' Compensation
- Child Custody
In the several decades I have practiced, I have handled many different types of cases, including personal injury, land use, zoning, criminal, Wills and Estates, real estate contracts and debt resolution.
I have appeared before the Circuit and District Courts, Administrative Law Judges, Orphans Courts (Wills and Estates), Workmen's Compensation Commissions, and other administrative bodies.
I believe my diverse background has greatly aided me in many ways because of the interaction of these areas of law.
I am constantly evolving, furthering my knowledge, writing skills and refining how I practice law.
I have forged many relationships with the Courts and other agencies I practice in. Both my academic skills and practical experience are brought to bear in every case in which I am involved, all to the benefit of my clients.
In addition to extensive trial work in most jurisdictions, Circuit Court and District Court, I have extensive experience with appeal litigation. I have a number of reported decisions (a reported decision is usually done when an unclear point of law needs to be clarified or resolved). I have personally been before the Court of Appeals (the highest court in the State) on the following:
- Koshko v. Haining, 398 Md. 404 (2007) (Establishing parameters for grandparent visitation)
- Shanks v. Lowe, 364 Md. 538 (2001) (Establishing that food servers can be garnished)
- Bank of America v. Schultz, 413 Md. 15 (2010) (Establishing the need for expert testimony in lawsuits with Banks)
I have also been involved in numerous cases before the Court of Special Appeals, Intermediate Appellate Courts and other cases before the United States Court of Appeals (4th Circuit ) in Richmond, Virginia.
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- Honors: With Honors
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: History
- Maryland, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1986
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1987
- Maryland Senate Scholar 1969
- Nomination for Rhodes Scholarship 1973
- Irwin Sussman P.A., Associate Attorney, 1979 to 1982
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- Baltimore City Bar Association, Member
- Baltimore County Bar Association, Member
Current Employment Position
- Sole Practitioner